Sunday 18 December 2011

Roof ready for Dec 25

It poured with rain again last Saturday night but with four solid walls and a roof we wern't worried about the state of the new room.  It was all water tight.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the rest of the house. We were just settling down to sleep when the water started dripping onto the bed from the ceiling.  We turned on the light and put on our glasses to see a rust coloured line, bearing beads of water, forming on the perfect alabaster white ceiling. I leapt up to get a towel and a bucket and arranged them down one side of the bed.  Of course, there was no getting back to sleep. The soothing pitter patter of rain on the roof was translating to an unsettling drip drip into the bucket and my mind went on an all night wander.




I've slept in tents in pouring rain that were water tight, so how can water get through a newly tiled roof? This, plus naming all seven dwarfs, wondering where the scones I purchased but never made it into the house got to, and trying to work out why the builder asked us to purchase two lengths of granite when we only needed one bench top, meant I was wide awake.

It did stop raining, the dripping stopped and we did get to sleep eventually.  However, I wasn't up for much the next day.  I did a spot of weeding and found my car keys. Why I had decided to turf my car keys in the garden is anyone's guess. Thinking I might be on a roll, I kept up the hunt, hoping I might find some soggy scones - but to no avail. I'll probably find them in a month's time covered in mould.

The next day A the plumber turned up to do some more work on the new roof. I hadn't met him before, so we shook hands and I immediately re-directed him up onto the leaky tiled roof

In no time at all he had it fixed the problems down in the valley. Now it should be able to carry the weight of any type of sleigh or reindeer that happens to drop by.  I've got A's business card by the phone just in case.

S was here for a few days and got the new room lock up stage - well almost. The external doors and windows are in place but there is one pane of glass missing from the sliding door.  This is for the dog door -The very first thing that we planned.  There is some sort of problem with getting the dog door in the pane of glass. I'm sure we'll find out more about this in the New Year.

In the meantime we'll be shopping for lighting and working out the colour scheme.

I'll keep your posted.
Merry Christmas


No comments:

Post a Comment